Friday, October 3, 2008

Women versus Sarah Palin

I was shocked and surprised when John McCain chose his running mate, Governor Sarah Palin. However, I was even more shocked and surprised when I witnessed the backlash she has received from other women.

I have never been one to support a candidate solely because of race or gender. I tend to vote for one political party over the other but have crossed party lines to vote for the best and most qualified candidate. (I actually did so in the last governor's race.) I disagree with those that support Sarah Palin or supported Hillary Clinton solely because they are women. I also disagree with those that support Barack Obama or John McCain solely because of their race.

What I find most interesting is the extreme hatred I see for Governor Palin. What is even more interesting is that a lot of this hate is expressed by women that were so steadfast in their support of Hillary Clinton - because she was a woman. During the primaries, we all heard from the National Organization for Women and other female organizations about how wonderful it would be to have a female president. But now that a female has thrown her hat into the ring for VP there is such backlash. I understand not supporting Governor Palin because one feels she may lack the experience necessary to assume the position of VP. I understand opposing her because of her strong beliefs on some issues. What I do not understand is the dialogue heard on news stations in which women state they do not like her because she is too perky or talks about her family too much.

The primaries were filled with discussions aimed at exposing sexism within the political process. Many tv networks filled their nightly news shows with stories of how Barack Obama and other male members of government were sexist in the comments made to Hillary Clinton. Many leading female rights advocates were appalled at the obvious sexism being exposed in this Presidential election.

Interesting that over the past 5 weeks Governor Palin has been grilled about her lack of experience, her perkiness, her love for her family, her failure at motherhood because her daughter is pregnant, conspiracy theories involving her new son, etc. The list can go on and on. Comments were made regarding her ability to adequately serve as VP and as a mother at the same time. It is impossible to be a good mother and hold a full time job or so the critics say. Where are the leading female rights advocates or the National Organization for Women? One would think, if they hold true to their beliefs, they would the first ones to shout from the highest mountaintop and declare comments like the ones listed above sexist and unacceptable. Yet there is only silence from these individuals. There is no shouting, no demands for equal treatment, no protests, no bra burning. There is only silence.

I always wondered what female rights organizations would do if they were ever faced with this situation. What would they do if a woman decided to run for office but did not share the liberal, leftist ideolgy shared by these groups? Would they put political opinions aside and stand up for what they claim to believe in, equal rights for all women? Would they demand equal treatment regardless of political views simply because this person is a woman and does deserve fair and equal treatment in every aspect of American society? I guess we know the answer. Do you hear that? Just more silence.

1 comment:

Jesse Lunsford said...

I agree with you however…

Such transparent hypocrisy should not surprise you. The overwhelming majority of news outlets are slanted so far to the left that they should tip over. There is constant biased coverage of events reported solely through the perspective of the liberal ideology. People who should be ashamed at their own lack of integrity as a journalist espouse hateful speech at any action by “the other side”.

Regardless of the outcome, this election will mark a historic first for America. We will either have the first black President or the first female Vice-President. Despite their own political leanings, minority advocates should be celebrating. The fact that they do not rejoice exemplifies their idiocy and their true agenda. The White House will now have a new face which marks a huge evolution in the minds of Americans. The President can be any color or gender. This should be a time of celebration not another excuse for mud-slinging.